Summer is here so its time to blow the dust of the sun lounger, lean back, relax and finish off your meal with this classic British dessert.
1. Preheat the oven to 140°C, gas mark 1 and line baking trays with greaseproof paper.
2. Whisk the egg whites in a large bowl until stiff peaks form. Gradually add the caster sugar, whisking continuously until glossy, then fold in the vanilla extract.
3. Scoop your mixture onto the baking tray leaving space between each to allow for spreading.
4. Bake for 1 ¼ – 1 ½ hours, until firm to the touch. Place on cool surface.
5. Whip the cream with the icing sugar until soft peaks form. Break up the meringues and fold into the cream with 300g strawberries.
6. Finish the Eton mess with some of the strawberries and a crunchy topping of meringue then serve at once and enjoy!