Bonfire Night Treacle Tart recipe
For the Pastry:
- 250g of plain flour.
- 130g of butter.
- 2 egg yolks.
- Preheat your oven to 200 degrees.
- Line your 22 inch fluted loose bottomed tin with butter ready for the pastry.
- Mix flour and butter in a large mixing bowl with your fingers until breadcrumbs.
- Add 3 tablespoons of cold water and mix to a fine dough.
- Wrap in cling film and chill in fridge for 20 minutes.
- Roll out pastry thinly on a lightly floured flat surface and then add to the pre-buttered tin.
- Then when the tin is lined, lightly pierce the base of pastry to prevent from rising up during cooking.
- Cook for about 15-20 minutes and when almost finished cooking, take your egg yolks and brush the base of the pastry and the sides.
- Bake again for bout 2-4 minutes to seal pastry and to prevent leakage when adding filling.
- Once the pastry is cooked then turn down the oven to 170 degrees and follow the treacle tart mix recipe.
For the Treacle Tart mix:
- 600g golden syrup
- 200g breadcrumb (fresh – no crust)
- 160g grand almonds
- 4 eggs
- 290ml of double cream
- Combine all ingredients with wooden spoon.
- Allow to sit at room temperature for 30 minutes.
- Add ingredients to pastry base cooked earlier.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes at 170 degrees until the middle of the tart begins to rise.
- Makes one 12 inch tart.
Serve hot or cold with clotted cream or double cream and enjoy!